Are you PCSing to Kadena?
Please note there is a late night drop off fee of $25 for all AMC customers and a $50 fee for all customers flying commercially through the Naha airport.
If you are arriving on a Wednesday or a holiday or arranging to pick your pet up on a Wednesday or a holiday, please note there is also a pick-up and drop-off fee. Please see our Boarding & Grooming section below for fee information and be sure to arrange your Wednesday pick up and/or drop off at the time you check your pet in.
Helpful Hints for PCSing with your pet
• When PCSing to or from Okinawa, your pet will need to have a health certificate completed within 10 days of arrival or departure. Many airlines will require a health certificate dated within two or three days of your flight. Please contact your airline to verify. The health certificate must be signed by a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and can be acquired at the Kadena Veterinary Clinic.
To obtain your Health Certificate, call the Veterinary Clinic two Mondays prior to your departure to make an appointment. You must bring your pet’s rabies tag and rabies certificate to your appointment. If seen by a civilian vet, both your health certificate and rabies certificate must have a USDA raised seal stamp and be signed by the attending vet (only when PCSing from US to Japan). If seen by a military vet there is no need for the USDA seal. Instead, a Form 2208 and 2209 are issued and must be signed by the attending military vet.
• Please contact Okinawa Veterinary Treatment Facility for more details regarding PCSing to and from Okinawa. They can be reached by Japanese cell phone at 050-5865-3083, from a U.S phone at 1-512-672-7593 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Rabies shots must be given a minimum of 30 days – but no more than 12 months – prior to your departure.
• Dogs must have a current kennel cough (Bordetella) vaccination if using Karing Kennels Boarding Facility. The vaccination must have been given at least three days prior to boarding and cannot be older than 12 months.
• Please refer to here for dog and cat import requirements.
Checking Weather for Your PCS
If you are PCSing between 15 May and 15 September, prepare to have an alternate plan in case the flight is unable to fly your pet due to temperatures at the transfer point exceeding 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Suggestions for your alternate plan:
• Choose early morning or late evening flight to avoid the worst heat of the day.
• Plan on renting a vehicle to drive to your final destination in the event that your connecting flight cannot fly your pet due to the temperature restrictions.
• Leave a Power of Attorney with a trusted friend who is still on island and is willing to watch your pet and make arrangements to fly them to you at a later date.
• If you are traveling commercially, you will need to take your pet, the kennel, your military ID, flight information/itinerary and five copies of your pet’s rabies certificate, health certificate and your orders to the quarantine office at the Naha Airport at least two days prior to your flight. The quarantine office is open Monday – Sunday 8:30 am – Noon and 1 pm – 5 pm. Please call ahead to confirm hours.
• If your pet is traveling commercially without you, you will need a USFJ Form 380 EJ, which can be obtained from the Travel Management Office (TMO).
• Due to adverse side effects, talk to your veterinarian about whether the use of tranquilizers or sedatives is recommended for your pet during travel.
• Try to travel on the same flight as your pet.
• For several weeks before the flight get your pet used to spending several hours in their travel crate at a time.
• Talk to your airline about specific crate requirements.
• Freeze water in either the water dish or a water bottle the night before. It is also suggested that you not feed your pet within six hours of departure.
Helpful Numbers For PCSing with Your Pets
• Karing Kennels Borading Facility • DSN: 966-7593 • JP Cell: 0363-868-2263 • USA: 512-672-7593
• Commercial airlines from Naha:
• Japan Airlines (JAL) • 862-3311
• All Nippon (ANA) • 861-1212
• Naha Quarantine Office, Okinawa • 098-857-4468
• Embassy of Japan, Washington DC • 02-939-6700
• US Fish & Wildlife Service, Virginia • 703-358-2104 (ext. 5423)
• Quarantine for Hawaii • 808-483-7151